With the official launch celebration set for tomorrow, July 29th at the Genesis Centre, CFN is so very proud to be a part of the Indigenous Education for Newcomers Initiative. Working in partnership, our ultimate goal is to support efforts aimed at ending cycles of systemic discrimination and abuse faced by Indigenous people through culturally appropriate educational workshops on Indigenous issues, meaningful partnerships that seek to create alliances for public education and awareness among both partners and within the broader community. Below is tomorrow's agenda and we look forward to seeing you there!
- 9:30 Opening Blessings from Elder - Honour Song & prayer by Herman Yellow Old Woman
- 10:00 Welcome, Anila Lee Yuen and Cindy Provost, Event Co-Chairs
- 10:15 Welcoming remarks from government
- 10:45 Making Treaty 7 - Video: To Be or Not To Be Friends - Live: Nora Dubois Tsuu T’ina Prophecy and monologue
- 11:05 Participatory discussions with audience - Sharing circles
- 12:00 Break for Lunch - Elder Herman Yellow Old Woman sharing songs and significance - Vendors, Ethnicity catering, resources tables, etc.
- 1:00 Youth Reconciliation Tree with Calgary Bridge Foundation for Youth
- 2:00 Media Representation/Misrepresentation- Gabrielle Lindstrom, PhD Candidate, University of Calgary
- 3:00 Understanding “the land.” – Making Treaty 7 with Andy Curtis and Elder Clarence Wolfleg
- 4:00 Closing Circle & Round Dance with Elder Clarence Wolfleg
Indigenous Education for Newcomers - Hashtag Contest from CFN Productions on Vimeo.